Here are a few handy tips on how to look after your car’s engine….
Change Oil Frequently
– It is important to change the oil in your car to flush abrasive dirt and metal particles out of the engine – helping to prolong the engines life. This is essential if you drive regularly in stop and go traffic.
Check Engine Oil at Every Other Fill-up
– Run or drive your car for 15 minutes to allow the oil to warm.
– Park your car in a level place & turn off the engine.
– Wait 15 minutes to aloe all the oil in the engine to drain back to the oil pan.
– Remove the dipstick and wipe clean with a rag.
– Reinsert the dipstick – pushing all the way to get an accurate reading. Pull out the dipstick and check the oil level.
– The oil level should be somewhere between the hash marks on the dipstick
Add the correct Oil Type and Quantity as specified in your owner’s manual.
Avoid Over-Filling your Crankcase with Oil
– If you over fill the crankcase the oil can rise into the crankshaft, where air bubbles will get churned into oil.
– Your oil pump will struggle to circulate oil with air bubbles.
– A result can be overheating and stress on engine components.
Heavier Is Not Always Better.
– Use the oil viscosity that is recommended in your owner’s manual for the temperature range you expect.